Monday, January 13, 2014

Best & Worst Golden Globes Fashions

Last night the Golden Globes was the usual self-congratulatory marathon of Hollywood's who's who. There were funny moments, well deserved wins, and the usual "What?!?!"s. But most of all-- there was the fashion. In the dull, cold months of winter, I can look forward to awards shows if only for the fun of judging the styling of the female celebrities on the red carpet. Shallow? Yes. Fun? Yes. Here are my picks for the best and worst of 2014.

BEST:

6. Helen Mirren

Here is how to do "Woman of a Certain Age" correctly. She is wearing a lively green that sets off her pale, side-parted hair. Her make-up is just bright enough to compliment, but not compete with the outfit. She looks absolutely comfortable and sexy. 

5. Maria Menounos
I love bright colors on the red carpet. Looking good isn't enough. I want something that wakes me up from the monotony of safe choice ballgowns. This bright orchid shade looks great against her skin and her hair, makeup, and jewelry is appropriately understated. Daring, simple, perfect.

4. Joanna Newsom
I love seeing a risk being taken on the red carpet. I always love Tilda Swinton and Helena Bonham-Carter for this reason. They bring something different and I look forward to that. Joanna Newsom brought the Scarlet O'Hara realness! The color of the gown works well with her side-swept dirty blond hair and skin. Sometimes ruffles work and sometimes they overwhelm. Surprisingly, I think they work here. This look is true to her style and she's owning it.

3. Sarah Hyland
Yet another pink dress! I loved the color of this simple sorbet number. I loved the way it moved even more. Her makeup is chic (those brows!), but I would love it if she would have worn her hair down in loose curls.

2. Cate Blanchett
I'd be hard-pressed to find a look of hers I didn't like. She can pull off a structured gown better than almost anyone and this was no different. The collar and sleeves are stunning on her. I would have loved it if the bottom was a bit more fitted, but that may have been too predictable.

1. Lupita Nyong'o
My hands down favorite. Lupita was radiant. The color of the dress is stunning against her glowing skin. Her hair and makeup are perfect. Understated jewelry and a clean manicure compliment the simple cut of the design. This look is sophisticated and fashion foward and I love it!

WORST:

6. Emma Thompson
The yin to Helen Mirren's yang, Emma looked matronly. That isn't an adjective to strive for. The cut of this dress is akward in many areas; the length, collar, sleeves, and waist are all unflattering. It didn't help that she took her Louboutins off on stage. We all know that you're the best part of Love Actually, but keep it together, girl!

5. Julia Roberts
Speaking of matronly, here comes Julia! This getup is just downright unflattering. You're not that old. Stop it.


4. Drew Barrymore
No one can say she's not just as cute as a button, but seriously? *Sigh*


3. Paula Patton
This could have worked if some elements were altered. The ruffle is just overwhelming her. If it tapered a little bit more or if the bottom were more fitted maybe I would feel differently. It is entirely too tight across her chest as well. The makeup is also too washed out for an all white gown. A more peach-toned lip would have brought this look out a little more.


2. Melissa McCarthy
This just makes me sad. Whoever has been styling her needs to be fired. It's just not right. I understand that she has concerns about the fit of her dresses, but better choices need to be made. Just because you're a plus sized woman doesn't mean you need to wear a tent. I get that she always wears sleeves because she has large arms. What I don't get are the unflattering and aging designs paired with dull colors. I also don't get the pompadour hair style she wears to awards shows. Her hair should be down and curly and she should be in a bright color. Less draping and ruching and less apologizing. That's what I feel like this dress is. A guilty apology.

1. Jacqueline Bisset
This dress obviously came out of a 1993 time capsule and it needs to get locked back in. The taffeta looks cheap and dated and I don't know where to begin on the embroidery. The most tragic thing, in my opinion, is her hair. Did she wake up at the last minute? Did she not hire anyone? Was she frozen in a glacier? It's hard to say, but even harder to keep looking.


No comments:

Post a Comment