Monday, July 25, 2011

Beauty Steal of the Week

When researching Beauty Icon of the Week, Carmen Dell'Orefice I came across her quote about this week's steal: Bag Balm! It is a product developed for farm animals teats and hooves that has gained cult status as skincare miracle. Carmen said, "If it's good enough for horses, it's good enough for me." Well, of course, I had to order some right away (I've since noticed it at most drugstores, shelved with moisturizers). It came promptly in the mail and I couldn't wait to try it. In reviews it is raved about for deep moisturization and is even thought to quicken the healing process of wounds or abrasions as well as or better than Neosporin®. I recently developed an itchy little rash between my fingers where my wedding ring sits. So I whipped out my cotton gloves and slathered it on my hands, covered up my paws and went to sleep.
Now, if I'm being honest I will tell you that the scent of this product is less that appealing. In line with the reviews, I found it to smell medicinal with a farm-animal undertone. One of the chief ingredients is Lanolin, a waxy secretion of the sebaceous glands of farm animals, so there ya go. Its just not a product you put on when you intend to leave the house. That being said, the scent is bearable in light of the results.
In the morning, my hands were baby smooth and the rash was significantly reduced. The product (along with the scent) is easily washed away, leaving only fantastically renewed skin. Following further applications, my rash is gone and my devotion for Bag Balm has only just begun.
Prices range from $4-8  for a generous 10 oz. tin. Available at most drugstores and online.

No comments:

Post a Comment